How to stop the nightmare before eXam day
Top Tips for the Day Before Test Day
Below are some suggestions for what to do the night before sitting an exam. Please note this list is not exhaustive and what works best for one person may not work best for another. These are just suggestions. If you have any suggestions or advise feel free to add them to the comments below.
- Don't go stay out late the night before - you will probably be tired and unable to concentrate during the exam. There will be plenty of time to party over the summer.
- Eat a healthy meal, avoid stimulants (e.g. caffeine) and drink plenty of water
- Make sure that you have all the equipment you need for the exam. If you need a black pen make sure you have two in case one breaks. Check your calculator is scientific, meets specs and is working. Make sure the equipment is standard exam issue. By doing this the day or week before you should have time to go to the shops/order on-line if necessary.
- Lay out your clothes - make sure you have what you are going to wear and take with to the exam. There is nothing worse than panicking or being late because you can't find your favourite sweater. Remember certain items are band from the exam room. Read my new watch rule post
- Run through a crib sheet with the most important details you need to remember
- Relax if you can (e.g. a bubble bath, watch a movie, meditate)
- Visualise a positive outcome - it is been proven that people who think positively tend to have a better outlook on life and do better overall. Exams are no different. Positive reinforcement creates positive thinking.
- Make sure your alarm clock is set - you don't want to wake up late and be rushing to get to the exam on time
- Get a good night sleep - most people need between 6 and 9 hours sleep.
For more tips or tutoring information visit RK Tutors